Model texts for the test / "have to" in emails

Hi everybody!

Soon you will find some particularly nice examples of emails from (fictitious) holiday camps here. Come back to check on new entries as often as possible! Don't forget to answer the questions that go with the texts.

FASHION CAMP - by L.

Hi Mum,

The fashion camp is great! We can do a lot of things here. I like the sewing machine and the designing of clothes. We also have a lunch break after the sewing lesson. After lunch we go to needle-work, painting or designing again.
At the camp, we have to follow some rules. We have to clean our rooms. We have to go to bed at ten pm. And all the kids have to help in the kitchen. But we don't have to get up early in the morning and that's fine.
Yesterday we made a trip to the fashion museum in the city-centre. It was fantastic!
Tomorrow we will make a fashion show with our hand-made clothes. I'm really looking forward to that!
I hope to see you soon.
Love,
L.

Questions to consider:
1) What's the differnce between "I must listen to her" and "I have to listen to her"?
2) Where does the "often" go?
     a) We have often pizza for lunch.   
     b) We often have pizza for lunch.
3) Are "we can make a lot of things" and "we can do a lot of things" interchangable (the same)?

Leave your answers in the comments below!


CAMPING BY THE LAKE - by T.
Hi Ms Hodschar,

The camp is really great! There are lots of things to do here, like playing soccer and swimming (we are camping next to a lake) and even horse riding. It’s so cool we are never bored. Geo-caching is fantastic. Our camp guide is very cool. We have a jetski for two persons. I was rock climbing on Friday and the sun was bright. It was very hot.
Yesterday I went geo-caching with my best friend Timon. I and Timon were in a team. We were the first to find the cache. In the evening we made a fire, grilled marshmallows and played games. It was fantastic.
Today I have to help in the kitchen.
That’s not cool XD.
I hope you are well. See you.

All the best,
T.



Comments