Superstitions - "Bloody Mary" and others - Mindmap 07 - Conditional I



Superstitions in Austria

Superstitions might be considered cultural heritage (and thus relics from the past) but there are still some that everybody knows, like "Friday the 13th is full of bad luck" and "Never walk under a ladder" or "Make a wish upon a star" (I always wish upon a star). In Austria we have some weird superstitions, I think. For example, if you share your dream before drinking water it brings bad luck or that you shouldn't sneeze while looking at the moon. 

I personally didn't know most of these superstitions and I actually don't believe in them either. So I'm not scared of sneezing in front of the Ms Moon or sharing my dreams before I've had a glass of water but maybe some people are. And even if I don't believe in superstitions like the ones mentioned above, I think we shouldn't make fun of people that do believe in them. Because I also believe in this one superstition (make a wish upon a star) and I wouldnt like being laughed at because of something I believe in.

The first thing that comes to my mind when I think of superstitions is a story I got told in primary school: The story of Bloody Mary tells you that if you say "Bloody Mary" into a mirror three times in a row, she will come out and pull you into the mirror. I was scared at first but when we finally tried it, nothing happened. What I wanna say by this is that you shouldn't be to scared by superstitions.

by Anouk


Comments